The Adoption Process
- View Available Pets
Browse our adoptable animals or visit the animals in person at our San Diego, Escondido, or Oceanside Campuses, visit one of our adoption centers around the county, or come see us at one of our Mobile Adoption events!
- Meet the Animals and an Adoption Counselor
Once you've selected an animal (or two!) that you're interested in adopting, you can spend time getting to know them. You'll also have the opportunity to meet with one of our Adoption Counselors, who are trained to help make the best match for you.
Each animal in our care has received a medical examination and a behavioral assessment.
- Complete the Adoption
When you've found a great match, it's time to complete the adoption process! You'll have the opportunity to ask the Adoption Counselors questions about training and get tips on helping your new pet adjust to your home. If you'd like, we also offer the service of introducing your new dog to your current dog(s).
If the animal you are interested in has any medical or behavioral conditions, we will also arrange a pre-adoption consultation with one of our veterinarians or trainers.
Love your new pet...or let us know. We're committed to finding you the perfect pet match.
We are proud to offer an Adoption Guarantee in case your adoption does not work as planned and you need to return your pet to San Diego Humane Society.
Click here for helpful tips for the first 30 days after adopting a dog or click here for helpful tips for the first 30 days after adopting a cat.
All adoption fees collected assist in the daily care and ongoing needs of each animal admitted to San Diego Humane Society. Adoption gift certificates are also available for purchase.
Depending on the type of animal, fees may include spay/neuter, current vaccinations, permanent microchip identification, a certificate for a free veterinary exam, a certificate for 30 days of medical insurance from TruPanion, and a license if residing in Escondido, San Marcos, Poway, Oceanside, and Vista.
- Adoption Superstars: $25 regardless age for dogs, puppies, cats, kittens
- Senior Dogs and Cats (7+ years old): $25
- Dogs (7 months to under 7 years old): $95
- Cats (7 months to under 7 years old): $65
- Puppies (6 months and younger): $195
- Kittens (6 months and younger): $125
- Rabbits, Guinea Pigs, Chinchillas, Large Birds, Reptiles: $25
- Canaries, Parakeets, Finches, Mice, Rats, Hamsters: $5
- Livestock: fees vary based on species
- Senior Adoption Program (Adopter 55+): $0 More Info >
- Dog Buddy Adoption (adoption of another dog at the same time or within one year of the first adoption):
- 2nd adult dog: $5
- 2nd puppy: 50% discount
- Cat Buddy Adoption (adoption of another cat at the same time or within one year of the first adoption):
- 2nd adult cat or kitten: adoption fee is waived
- Military Pricing: 25% discount with proof of service
- Animal Welfare Partner fees: $0
- Independent 501C3 request fees: $50.00
We reserve the right to hold special animal adoption promotions wherein prices may be reduced or waived altogether. These promotional campaigns will be advertised to the general public and honored during the promotional dates only. Following special adoption campaigns, adoption pricing will revert to original pricing until further notice.