Pet Loss Support
Family, friends and society don’t always understand how drastically the loss of a pet can affect us, and therefore they can find it difficult to support the grief we often feel. The San Diego Humane Society’s Pet Loss Support Group provides an environment where thoughts and emotions can be shared with those of similar circumstances and feelings of grief are understood and validated. Our Pet Loss Support group is facilitated by a licensed, clinical social worker.
If you are…
- Feeling lost without your pet
- Wondering what to tell your child about the loss of a pet
- Finding that family and friends fail to understand or attempt to minimize your loss
- Wondering if it is too soon to get another pet
- Still grieving for a pet you had some time ago
- Considering euthanasia
…then the San Diego Humane Society’s Pet Loss Support Group may help. Losing your companion animal can be an extremely difficult and painful experience, and we offer a caring, compassionate understanding of your loss.
The Pet Loss Support Group is open to everyone ages 10 and up and is appropriate for those who have recently lost a pet, are still mourning an old loss, are anticipating the death of a pet or are preparing for euthanasia.
Reservations are encouraged but not required. Evening and weekend sessions are available. Check our calendar for dates or call (619) 299-7012, extension 2311 for more information or to make a reservation. See our calendar here»
Please bring a picture of your beloved pet to the session.
There are no fees for the Pet Loss Support Group. General donations are greatly appreciated to support our valuable services.
- Saying Good-bye to the Pet You Love
Lorri Greene, PhD and Jacquelyn Landis, New Harbinger Publications, 2002.
- Coping with Sorrow on the Loss of Your Pet
Moira Anderson, Peregrine Press, 1994.
- The Human-Animal Bond and Grief
Laurel Lagoni, Carolyn Butler & Suzanne Hetts, W.B. Saunders and Company, 1994.
- Preparing for the Loss of Your Pet
Myrna Milani, DVM, Prima Publishing, 1988.
- Oh Where Has My Pet Gone?: A Pet Loss Memory Book, Ages 3-103
Sally Sibbitt, B. Libby Press, 1991.
- The Loss of a Pet
Wallace Sife, Howell Books, 1998.
- The Tenth Good Thing About Barney
Judith Viorst, Athenum, 1971.
- Charlotte's Web
E.B. White, Harper Junior, 1952.
- Remembering My Pet: A Kid's Own Spiritual Workbook for When a Pet Dies
Nechama Liss-Levinson, PhD and Rev. Molly Phinney Baskett, SkyLight Paths Publishing, 2007.
- Golden Angels: Lessons in Love and Loss from Buddy Girl and Daisy May
Stephanie Weaver, Braver Endeavor Publishing, 2013.
- Love Crosses Over
Elizabeth Allen, CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform, 2013.
- Santee area sessions held the last Tuesday of the month from 6-7pm led by Caroline Joseph at the Santee Library at 9225 Carlton Hills Blvd, Santee 92071.
- San Diego Pet Memorial Park Virtual Pet Loss Sessions held via phone every Wednesday from 5-6 p.m. (Pacific Time). Call in 1-218-339-7965 and use code 118631#. This may be a long distance call.
Note: These lists and links are provided as a service to the community and do not necessarily include all Pet Loss resources. The San Diego Humane Society and SPCA is not affiliated with these organizations and does not take responsibility for the content therein.