Pet Loss Support
Family, friends, and society don't always understand how drastically the loss of a pet can affect us, and can find it difficult to support the grief we often feel. Our Pet Loss Support Group provides an environment where thoughts and emotions can be shared and feelings of grief are understood and validated. Our Pet Loss Support group is facilitated by a licensed, clinical social worker.
If you are:
- Feeling lost without your pet,
- Wondering what to tell your child about the loss of a pet,
- Finding that family and friends fail to understand or attempt to minimize your loss,
- Wondering if it is too soon to get another pet,
- Still grieving for a pet you had some time ago,
- Considering euthanasia,
Our Pet Loss Support Group may help. Losing your companion animal can be an extremely difficult and painful experience, and we offer a caring, compassionate understanding of your loss.
The Pet Loss Support Group is open to everyone ages 10 and up and is appropriate for those who have recently lost a pet, are still mourning an old loss, are anticipating the death of a pet, or are preparing for euthanasia.
- Reservations are encouraged but not required.
- Evening and weekend sessions are available.
- Please bring a picture of your pet to the session.
- There are no fees for the Pet Loss Support Group. General donations are appreciated.
Check our calendar for dates or call 619.299.7012 x 2311 for more information or to make a reservation.
View Calendar >
- Saying Good-bye to the Pet You Love, Lorri Greene, PhD and Jacquelyn Landis, New Harbinger Publications, 2002.
- Going Home: Finding Peace When Pets Die, Jon Katz, Villard, 2011.
- Coping with Sorrow on the Loss of Your Pet, Moira Anderson, Peregrine Press, 1994.
- The Human-Animal Bond and Grief, Laurel Lagoni, Carolyn Butler and Suzanne Hetts, W.B. Saunders and Company, 1994.
- Preparing for the Loss of Your Pet, Myrna Milani, DVM, Prima Publishing, 1988.
- Oh Where Has My Pet Gone?: A Pet Loss Memory Book, Ages 3-103, Sally Sibbitt, B. Libby Press, 1991.
- The Loss of a Pet, Wallace Sife, Howell Books, 1998.
- The Tenth Good Thing About Barney, Judith Viorst, Athenum, 1971.
- Charlotte's Web, E.B. White, Harper Junior, 1952.
- Remembering My Pet: A Kid's Own Spiritual Workbook for When a Pet Dies, Nechama Liss-Levinson, PhD and Rev. Molly Phinney Baskett, SkyLight Paths Publishing, 2007.
- Golden Angels: Lessons in Love and Loss from Buddy Girl and Daisy May, Stephanie Weaver, Braver Endeavor Publishing, 2013.
- Love Crosses Over, Elizabeth Allen, CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform, 2013.
- The Hug Club is a weekly Pet Loss Support Group held Saturdays from 3-4 pm at San Diego Pet Memorial Park at 8995 Crestmar Point, San Diego, CA 92121. If you have questions, you can reach Catherine at PetLossHugClub@gmail.com or 858-909-0009.
- El Cajon area sessions are held Thursdays from 6-7 pm and are led by Caroline Joseph at 1177 Greenfield Dr. Ste. B, El Cajon, CA 92021. Please call 619.334.0708 to make a reservation.
These lists and links are provided as a service to the community and do not necessarily include all pet loss resources. San Diego Humane Society is not affiliated with these organizations and does not take responsibility for the content therein.