Thank you for your interest in volunteering!
San Diego Humane Society’s Escondido Campus cares for the homeless and stray animals of Escondido, Poway and San Marcos. Volunteers help serve our animals and guests to ensure their experience at the shelter is phenomenal. We are grateful for the enthusiasm, dedication, and love they share with us every single day.
New volunteers are typically recruited every other month, on an as needed basis. If interested in volunteering, please review the information below and sign up for a Volunteer Info Session.
NEW VOLUNTEERS ASSIST IN THE FOLLOWING ENTRY LEVEL FOUNDATION ROLES AT OUR ESCONDIDO CAMPUS
- New volunteers will begin in the Foundation Level role where they assist with feeding, cleaning, making enrichment items and some hands on socialization opportunities with our animals. After a minimum of 15 hours of service, volunteers may apply to step up into our core level roles such as dog walking, cat socializing, assisting in our kitten nursery etc. These roles require additional training, responsibility and a weekly shift commitment.
Requirements to Volunteer FOR the Escondido Campus:
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Due to time invested in training volunteers must commit to a minimum of 1 year of service.
- At this time, we are unable to verify hours to meet community service requirements mandated by the court. Hours for school, military, etc will be verified after 6 months of service.
HOW TO BECOME A VOLUNTEER:
- Sign up for a Volunteer Info Session. Info Sessions are hosted on an as needed basis. At this session you will learn more about our organization, the volunteer program, and the current roles we have available. Sessions are posted to this web page at the start of each recruitment round.
- If after attending an Info Session you decide we are the right organization for you, you may then complete a volunteer application and sign up for a Volunteer Service Interview. This small group session includes a walking tour of the facility and a group interview with both question and answer as well as practicing volunteer duties to determine if the role is the right fit for you.
- Following the interview, the Volunteer Engagement team will review your paperwork and place you in a specific volunteer role if there is an appropriate assignment that matches your skills, interests, and availability.
- Once you have received your volunteer assignment, we will schedule any additional necessary hands on training. This may include a class and/or 1 on 1 mentor training with a staff member or experienced volunteer.
VOLUNTEER INFO SESSIONS – MAY 2018
If you would like to learn more about volunteering with San Diego Humane Society, please RSVP to an Info Session at our Escondido Campus. Official San Diego Humane Society volunteer applications will be sent to all Info Session attendees after the session.
Space is limited.