Our Veterinary team is committed to providing third and fourth year veterinary students of UC Davis or Western University with a comprehensive rotation further refining clinical skills and competencies.
Those interested in an externship opportunity can look forward to:
- Campuses located throughout San Diego County
- Multiple full service medical facilities
- Team of staff veterinarian mentors
- Over 1,000 animals in care
- Daily high volume surgeries
- Advanced surgical and dental procedures
- Challenging internal medicine cases
- Emergency and critical care
- Infectious disease case and shelter management
- Humane Law Enforcement investigation cases
- 24-hour orphaned kitten nursery
- Digital standard and dental radiology, ultrasound
- Veterinary Internship Program
- Staff and educational rounds
- Shadowing other departments: behavior and training, animal care, Humane Law Enforcement, admissions, adoptions
Current duties for externship applicants include:
- Primary surgical and medical case responsibility
- Patient examination, assessment, present findings, formulate diagnostic/treatment plan
- Medical record keeping, S.O.A.P. format
- Case management and follow up
- Evaluation radiographs, ultrasounds and assess laboratory findings
- Hands-on: routine surgeries, biopsies, cytologies, skin scrapes, drawing blood, cystocentesis, placing IV catheters, nerve blocks, dental extractions, necropsies
- Assist in orthopedic, soft tissue specialized surgeries
- End of rotation medical case or topic presentation
For more information about our Externship Program for third and fourth year veterinary students of UC Davis or Western University, email [email protected].
To discuss shadowing or volunteer options for UC Davis and Western University not on an official school rotation or for out-of-state/international veterinary students, please also inquire to [email protected]. Be aware that under California Law, we are unable to allow these students to perform the same duties and tasks as in-state third and fourth year veterinary students on an official school externship.
*To inquire about Veterinary Assistant and RVT externship availability, please email [email protected] with your preferred campus location/s, school name and contact, and all the requirements of your externship.