Pet-Assisted Therapy – Social Work Program Externship
San Diego Humane Society’s Pet-Assisted Therapy program brings the joy of animal companionship to people in care centers and at community events all across San Diego County. This program is looking for a student currently enrolled at a four-year university who is studying social work or a similar field and requires college credit for a semester-long internship. The intern will assist with the development and implementation of coordinated Pet-Assisted Therapy strategies to increase and enhance current program offerings. The intern will also help coordinate the Pet-Assisted Therapy volunteers.
View the full position description here: P-AT Social Work intern position description 2018.
To inquire about this opportunity, please email a cover letter and resume to Elkie Wills, Director of Community Engagement, at [email protected]
ABC Animal College Externships
Our animal care teams are able to provide externship opportunities to students currently enrolled in an animal behavior and/or husbandry program.
To inquire about Animal Care externship availability, please complete our request form. A member of the volunteer engagement team will be in touch within one week of receiving your form.
Veterinary Assistant and RVT Externships
Our veterinary medical teams are able to provide externship opportunities to students currently enrolled in a vet assistant or RVT program.
To inquire about current opportunities, please complete our request form. A member of the volunteer engagement team will be in touch within one week of receiving your form.
UC Davis and Western University Medical Externship Program
OUR VETERINARY TEAM IS COMMITTED TO PROVIDING THIRD AND FOURTH YEAR VETERINARY STUDENTS OF UC DAVIS OR WESTERN UNIVERSITY WITH A COMPREHENSIVE ROTATION FURTHER REFINING CLINICAL SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES.
Those interested in an externship opportunity can look forward to:
- Campuses located throughout San Diego County
- Multiple full service medical facilities
- Team of staff veterinarian mentors
- Over 1,000 animals in care
- Daily high volume surgeries
- Advanced surgical and dental procedures
- Challenging internal medicine cases
- Emergency and critical care
- Infectious disease case and shelter management
- Humane Law Enforcement investigation cases
- 24-hour orphaned kitten nursery
- Digital standard and dental radiology, ultrasound
- Veterinary Internship Program
- Staff and educational rounds
- Shadowing other departments: behavior and training, animal care, Humane Law Enforcement, admissions, adoptions
Current duties for externship applicants include:
- Primary surgical and medical case responsibility
- Patient examination, assessment, present findings, formulate diagnostic/treatment plan
- Medical record keeping, S.O.A.P. format
- Case management and follow up
- Evaluation radiographs, ultrasounds and assess laboratory findings
- Hands-on: routine surgeries, biopsies, cytologies, skin scrapes, drawing blood, cystocentesis, placing IV catheters, nerve blocks, dental extractions, necropsies
- Assist in orthopedic, soft tissue specialized surgeries
- End of rotation medical case or topic presentation
For more information about our Externship Program for third and fourth year veterinary students of UC Davis or Western University, email [email protected].
To discuss shadowing or volunteer options for UC Davis and Western University not on an official school rotation or for out-of-state/international veterinary students, please also inquire to [email protected]. Be aware that under California Law, we are unable to allow these students to perform the same duties and tasks as in-state third and fourth year veterinary students on an official school externship.