Volunteers are required to purchase a t-shirt or apron, which are available for less than $15 at any of our locations.
Pet-Assisted Therapy volunteers with Canine Good Citizen certified therapy dogs must purchase a leash sleeve for $15.
SDHS volunteers choose which of our campuses they want to assist at.
You can review the recruitment process for each volunteer opportunity by visiting the main volunteer webpage and clicking on the bubble for each program.
At our Oceanside campus, youth ages 16 and 17 can volunteer for positions with dogs, cats, rabbits, and office roles.
At our San Diego campus, volunteers ages 14 or 15 can apply for our Animal Care Program. These volunteers must be accompanied by a parent or guardian, who is also an approved volunteer, at all times while volunteering.Volunteers aged 16 or 17 may volunteer unaccompanied.
At our Escondido campus, all volunteers must be 18 or older.
We host Info Sessions General Volunteer position on an every-other-month basis, during January, March, May, July, September, and November. After this session, attendees can complete an application and then interview for a volunteer position.
Other ongoing volunteer opportunities are also available. See them here >
- Host a third party fundraiser. Information and guidelines can be found here.
- Host a donation drive at your school or in your community to collect new or used items from our Wish List, including towels, blankets and pet supplies, which you can then donate to us.
- Print Furry Flyers off our website and distribute them around your neighborhood to help get our animals adopted.
- Learn more about Youth Service options
- Explore our D.I.Y. Volunteering page