PAWS San Diego, a program of San Diego Humane Society, helps people keep their pets by providing essential pet services and support to low-income pet families all over San Diego County. Our clients include seniors, people who are chronically ill and/or disabled, veterans, members of the military and homeless individuals.
As the largest pet safety net service in San Diego, the goal of this unique program is to keep pets in their homes and out of shelters.
Our volunteers assist PAWS clients in a variety of ways, including delivery of pet food and supplies to home bound clients, transportation to vet appointments for clients who are unable to get there on their own and dog walking for home bound and hospitalized clients.
Volunteers also help in the PAWS warehouse, located at the San Diego Campus, to assist the PAWS staff with donation pick ups, food assembly and supply orders, and at our monthly community pantry distribution sites, where clients can pick up pet food.
HOW TO BECOME A VOLUNTEER:
- Review the open positions at the bottom of this page to determine if any fit your interests and skills.
- Complete our volunteer interest form with the role you are interested in and the skills you have related to the role.
- We will review all applications received for our open volunteer positions and be in touch by phone or email set up an interview if we have an opportunity that matches your skills and interests.
- Volunteers must complete an in person working interview and if offered a position, will complete our online Volunteer Orientation and hands-on, role specific training.
- A background check and/or DMV check is required prior to volunteering for PAWS positions that work directly with home bound clients.
- Dog Walker: We are looking for two volunteers to walk Lucy, a 4-year-old Chihuahua mix. Lucy can be shy when she first meets you but warms up over time and gets excited to go for her walks. Lucy is fearful of men so this family will require a female walker. Walks are on Monday and Friday mornings in North Clairemont (cross streets Clairemont Mesa Blvd. and Moraga Ave.) Volunteers must be 18+, will be required to have a background check and must be able to commit to a set weekly schedule for a minimum of 6 months.
- Dog Walker: We are looking for a volunteer to walk Xena, an 8-year-old Bull Mastiff. At 100 pounds, Xena is a true gentle giant who loves rolling over for belly rubs. She also loves going for walks and may even be up for a little jogging with encouragement. Walks are on Wednesday mornings in Clairemont (cross streets Merrimac Ave. and Fond Du Lac Ct.) Volunteers must be 18+, will be required to have a background check and must be able to commit to a set weekly schedule for a minimum of 6 months.
- Pet Transport: We are looking for a volunteer to transport a PAWS client and her dog, Baby Cakes, from their home Downtown to Grape Street dog park. Baby Cakes is a 4 year old Jack Russell/Chihuahua mix. Each park visit will be approximately 1 hour, preferably on a Sunday afternoon, once a month. The volunteer will not be required to handle or walk Baby Cakes; only to provide transportation to the dog park to get her some exercise and socialization. Volunteers must be 18+, will be required to have a background check, utilize own vehicle and gas and must be able to commit to a set monthly schedule for a minimum of 6 months.