PAWS San Diego, a program of San Diego Humane Society, helps people keep their pets by providing essential pet services and support to low-income pet families all over San Diego County. Our clients include seniors, people who are chronically ill and/or disabled, veterans, members of the military and homeless individuals.
As the largest pet safety net service in San Diego, the goal of this unique program is to keep pets in their homes and out of shelters.
Our volunteers assist PAWS clients in a variety of ways, including delivery of pet food and supplies to home bound clients, transportation to vet appointments for clients who are unable to get there on their own and dog walking for home bound and hospitalized clients.
Volunteers also help in the PAWS warehouse, located at the San Diego Campus, to assist the PAWS staff with donation pick ups, food assembly and supply orders, and at our monthly community pantry distribution sites, where clients can pick up pet food.
HOW TO BECOME A VOLUNTEER:
- Review the open positions at the bottom of this page to determine if any fit your interests and skills.
- Email [email protected] with the role you are interested in and the skills you have related to the role.
- We will contact you by phone or email to discuss the program, your experience and set up an interview.
- Volunteers must complete an in person working interview and if offered a position, will complete our online Volunteer Orientation and hands-on, role specific training.
- A background check and/or DMV check is required prior to volunteering for PAWS positions that work directly with home bound clients.
- PAWS Front Desk Assistant: As the safety net program of San Diego Humane Society, it is PAWS San Diego’s role to provide essential services and support to keep pets with their owners. Front desk volunteers provide support to any and all callers or visitors to the PAWS office at our San Diego Campus. Duties include phone calls, database entry, in person meetings with clients and their pets for supply distribution and additional clerical tasks as needed. Shift openings are Monday-Friday from 2-6 p.m. Volunteers will be required to have a background check and must be able to commit to a set weekly schedule for a minimum of 6 months.
- PAWS Dog Walker: Dog walkers needed for a PAWS client that lives in North Park, San Diego. Laila is a small Papillon/Chihuahua mix and is very shy so will need volunteers who are willing to move slowly with her. Walks are on a set schedule every Sunday or every other Saturday morning and are around 30 minutes long. Volunteers will be required to have a background check, utilize own vehicle, gas and insurance and must be able to commit to a set weekly schedule for a minimum of 6 months.
- PAWS Dog Walker (for dog park): Volunteers needed to take Chihuahua mix Baby Cakes and her owner from downtown to a local dog park once a week on a set schedule, preferably on a week night evening or weekend morning or evening when there will be other dogs to play with. Baby Cakes’ mom will get her leashed and walk her from the car to the park so you just provide transportation and a little companionship while Baby Cakes gets to play. Volunteers will be required to have a background check, utilize own vehicle, gas and insurance and must be able to commit to a set weekly schedule for a minimum of 6 months.