Serving San Diego County since 1880, San Diego Humane Society operates campuses in San Diego, Escondido and Oceanside.
We offer San Diegans a wide range of programs and services that strengthen the human-animal bond, prevent cruelty/neglect, provide medical care, educate the community on the humane treatment of animals and provide safety net services for all pet families needing assistance with keeping their pets.
As San Diego’s oldest nonprofit organization, San Diego Humane Society has campuses located in Escondido, Oceanside, and San Diego as well as adoption centers inside select Petco stores throughout San Diego County. San Diego Humane Society is supported by contributions, grants, bequests, investments, municipal contracts and small fees for services.
Our Programs and Services Include:
- Adoptions: on-site and mobile (off-site). Every animal that we adopt out has been spayed or neutered, microchipped, is up-to-date on shots and has been evaluated for health and behavior.
- Animal Adventure Camp (offered during school holidays and breaks).
- Animal control and stray pet services (Escondido, Imperial Beach, San Marcos, Poway, Oceanside and Vista).
- Animal cruelty and neglect investigations.
- Animal Rescue Reserve: Rescuing animals in emergency situations.
- Behavior helpline, training classes and private consultations.
- Boy and Girl Scout troop programs.
- Comprehensive medical and behavioral services for all animals in our care.
- Educational programs for youth and adults.
- Foster care program.
- Intake of owner-relinquished pets and pets from other shelters.
- Owner-requested euthanasia for terminally ill or suffering animals.
- PAWS San Diego: provides essential pet services and support to low-income seniors, chronically ill, and disabled individuals.
- Pet-Assisted Therapy.
- Pet loss support group.
- Project Wildlife: the primary local resource for animal rehabilitation, conservation and wildlife education.
- School outreach and supplemental programs.
- Sheltering and adopting animals.
- Spay and neuter services.
- Vaccine clinics.
- Volunteer opportunities for youth, adults and corporate groups.