Need to give up your pet?
Facing the decision to give up your pet can be devastating and we know it's not easy. We understand that there are sometimes circumstances that may prevent you from being able to keep your pet, and San Diego Humane Society is here to help.
- Consider using Rehome by Adopt-a-Pet to find a new home for your pet yourself, rather than taking them to a shelter.
- If you’re interested in keeping your pet, you’ll find our alternatives & resources below that can help you address medical, behavioral and other concerns.
- If you need to bring your pet to San Diego Humane Society, please call 619-299-7012 to make a pre-admission phone appointment so we can provide you with instructions for how to give up your pet safely.
Give up your pet without taking them to a shelter
- Review our Tips for Rehoming Your Pet.
- Don't rush! Take time to find your furry friend the best new home.
- Increase your pet's adoptability by having them spayed/neutered, groomed and vaccinated.
- Tell your friends, family and coworkers that you’re looking for a new home for your help. The more people who know you need help, the better your chances of finding your pet a new family.
- You can advertise online (on sites like Nextdoor), but use caution when considering unknown individuals or families. Share your expectations for your pet's new home and be sure to ask questions to identify a home that will be a good fit for your pet. No one knows your pet better than you do!
- Please, never abandon your pet! San Diego Humane Society is here if you need to bring your pet to a shelter.
- Create a listing for your pet on the following websites, which specialize in connecting pets who need a good home with families looking to adopt!
Alternatives & Resources
Many pet-related problems are solvable — and we’re here to help you find solutions that allow you to keep your pet! Whether it's a behavior problem, a housing issue or another kind of crisis, we're here to offer guidance. See below for helpful links or call 619-299-7012 so we can find a solution together.
- Review our Resources to Help You Keep Your Pet.
- Behavior issues - pet training resources
- Medical care (Also visit FACE Foundation)
- Community Support Servies - help with supplies
- Housing issues - find pet-friendly housing
- Military Support - resources for service personnel
- Rescue Partners - connect with a local San Diego rescue organization
San Diego Pets Looking for a New Home with AdoptaPet
Relinquishing a Pet at San Diego Humane Society
To relinquish your pet, set up a pre-admission phone appointment here. Please allow at least 30 minutes for the phone appointment.
There is a $25 relinquishment fee to help cover the cost of care ($40 if you live outside our jurisdictions).
When you relinquish your pet, you are giving up all legal ownership rights to the animal. Legal ownership and responsibility are transferred to San Diego Humane Society. We take your animal's well-being very seriously and have a team of compassionate and dedicated animal care professionals who will provide loving care.
Relinquishing a Litter at San Diego Humane Society
If your pet has had a litter of babies, you can bring the offspring to San Diego Humane Society. We will take in the litter ($25 relinquishment fee or $40 if you live outside our jurisdictions) and spay and neuter the parent animal(s) free of charge, to help curb pet overpopulation and ensure every adoptable animal finds a loving home.
To bring in your litter and schedule your spay and/or neuter surgery, set up a pre-admission phone appointment here.
More info on San Diego Humane Society's spay/neuter services can be found here.