Adoptions are completed in person on a first-come, first-served basis. Review our adoption process below for more detailed information.
Pardon our dust!
We’re renovating our Adoptions Building at our San Diego Campus (5500 Gaines St.). Please read this important information so you know what to expect when visiting our San Diego Campus:
Adoptable animals at our San Diego Campus are being temporarily housed at 5480 and 5495 Gaines St. and can be visited Tuesday through Sunday from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- To adopt a pet: If you already know which pet(s) you'd like to meet or adopt, please check in at 5480 Gaines St. when you arrive on campus. An Adoption Counselor will then meet with you on a first-come, first-served basis, introduce you to the pet(s) you're interested in and help complete your adoption. In the meantime, please feel free to browse our adoptable pets!
- You can also see all adoptable animals on our website prior to your visit.
- Visit our other campuses! Our El Cajon, Escondido and Oceanside campuses are not affected by this renovation project.
All other San Diego Campus services (including admissions, licensing, lost and found, Community Pet Pantry and more) will remain available at their usual locations. Thank you for your patience and we hope to see you soon!
Step 1. View Available Pets Online
Begin the process by viewing our website’s Available Pets page and finding an animal you’re interested in adopting!
San Diego Humane Society only completes dog-to-dog introductions (where an adoptable dog in our care meets a potential adopter’s resident dog) in special circumstances, based on the behaviors displayed by the dog(s) in our care or by the owned dog.
- Dog-to-Dog Introductions
- Cat-to-Cat Introductions
- Dog-to-Cat Introductions
- Children-to-Dog Introductions
Before bringing an additional pet into your home, we recommend assessing whether this will enrich your current pet’s life. We’re here to help! Our adoption counselors can answer questions and provide guidance during your visit.
Step 2. Visit Us In Person!
All of our campus locations are open for walk-in adoptions during regular adoption hours. Feel free to visit us anytime! Here are a few things to note when you come in to adopt:
- Adoptions are on first-come, first-served basis.
- Like many businesses, we are experiencing a staffing shortage which has resulted in longer than normal wait times to meet with an adoption counselor.
- Once you meet with an adoption counselor, completing the adoption process typically takes one hour.
Step 3. Complete the Adoption
If you've found a great match, an adoption counselor will walk you through the process of signing the adoption contract! If you would like to adopt, please be prepared to bring your new family member home the same day.
During the checkout process, you will have the opportunity to ask the adoption counselor questions about training and get tips on helping your new pet adjust to your home. If the animal you are interested in has any medical or behavioral conditions, we will also arrange a pre-adoption consultation with one of our veterinarians or trainers.
You'll Also Receive These Benefits
- Post-Adoption Complimentary Vet Exam.
- We have an ADOPTION GUARANTEE!
We're committed to finding the perfect pet match. If you need to return your adopted animal for whatever reason, you can do so. Please call our Admissions department to schedule a return at 619-299-7012.
We've compiled tips, tricks and resources to help you take the very best care of your pet. Whether it's training tips, wellness information or financial resources, we're here to answer your pet-related questions. If you need help finding the information you're looking for, please give us a call at 619-299-7012.