Adoptions are completed in person on a first-come, first-served basis. Review our adoption process below for more detailed information.
Pardon our dust!
We’re renovating our Adoptions Building at our San Diego Campus (5500 Gaines St.). Please read this important information so you know what to expect when visiting our San Diego Campus:
To adopt an animal: Adoptable animals at our San Diego Campus are being temporarily housed in our buildings directly across the street (at 5485 and 5495 Gaines St.).
- To adopt a cat or small pet: Feel free to visit us at 5495 Gaines St. to browse our adoptable cats and small animals and meet with an Adoption Counselor! You can also see all adoptable animals on our website prior to visiting us.
- To adopt a dog: To protect the comfort of our dogs in their temporary housing, the adoption gallery is not open to the public for browsing. Please check out the adoptable dogs (filter by species and location) on our website first, then come in during normal business hours when you’re ready to adopt and have one (or a few!) dogs in mind. An Adoption Counselor will meet with you on a first-come, first-served basis, introduce you to the dog(s) you’re interested in and help complete your adoption.
- Visit our other campuses! Our El Cajon, Escondido and Oceanside campuses are not affected by this renovation project. We hope to see you soon!
All other San Diego Campus services (including admissions, licensing, lost and found, Community Pet Pantry and more) will remain available at their usual locations. Thank you for your patience!
Step 1. View Available Pets Online
Begin the process by viewing our website’s Available Pets page and finding an animal you’re interested in adopting!
San Diego Humane Society only completes dog-to-dog introductions (where an adoptable dog in our care meets a potential adopter’s resident dog) in special circumstances, based on the behaviors displayed by the dog(s) in our care or by the owned dog.
- Dog-to-Dog Introductions
- Cat-to-Cat Introductions
- Dog-to-Cat Introductions
- Children-to-Dog Introductions
Before bringing an additional pet into your home, we recommend assessing whether this will enrich your current pet’s life. We’re here to help! Our adoption counselors can answer questions and provide guidance during your visit.
Step 2. Visit Us In Person!
- Adoptions are on first-come, first-served basis.
- Like many businesses, we are experiencing a staffing shortage which has resulted in longer than normal wait times to meet with an adoption counselor.
- Once you meet with an adoption counselor, completing the adoption process typically takes one hour.
Step 3. Complete the Adoption
If you've found a great match, an adoption counselor will walk you through the process of signing the adoption contract! If you would like to adopt, please be prepared to bring your new family member home the same day.
During the checkout process, you will have the opportunity to ask the adoption counselor questions about training and get tips on helping your new pet adjust to your home. If the animal you are interested in has any medical or behavioral conditions, we will also arrange a pre-adoption consultation with one of our veterinarians or trainers.
You'll Also Receive These Benefits
- Post-Adoption Complimentary Vet Exam.
- Petco “Welcome to the Family” benefits.
- We have an ADOPTION GUARANTEE!
We're committed to finding the perfect pet match. If you need to return your adopted animal for whatever reason, you can do so. Please call our Admissions department to schedule a return at 619-299-7012.
We've compiled tips, tricks and resources to help you take the very best care of your pet. Whether it's training tips, wellness information or financial resources, we're here to answer your pet-related questions. If you need help finding the information you're looking for, please give us a call at 619-299-7012.