Join Our Medical Team
Work for us and change the world!
San Diego Humane Society is looking for veterinarians and medical professionals to work in our Pilar & Chuck Bahde Center for Shelter Medicine — the first of its kind in California. As one of the largest and most-innovative animal welfare organizations in the country, we offer a competitive compensation package with full benefits. What’s more - you will be saving the lives of abused, neglected and homeless animals. Apply today!
Amazing Work Environment
With the opening of our new Bahde Center for Shelter Medicine, we have excellent opportunities to:
- Work in a world-class facility;
- Influence the emerging field of shelter medicine;
- Shape the shelter veterinarians of tomorrow;
- Take care of our region’s homeless pets in an open-admission animal shelter;
- Help our community stay at zero euthanasia of healthy/treatable pets;
- And ultimately, change the world.
Culture of Care
With a fast pace and clinical focus, our supportive work environment values leadership, teaching and coaching. An Administrator of Veterinary Hospitals supports many of the administrative duties, freeing medical staff up for clinic work.
Bahde Center for Shelter Medicine
Of the 45,000 companion animals entering shelters in San Diego County, nearly 90% are cared for by San Diego Humane Society. Not only is this new hospital vital to treat these animals, it helps advance the future of shelter medicine nationally as a teaching hospital. Our veterinarians are truly saving lives each and every day. Some unique features include:
- More than Shelter Medicine – you will be a part of a larger mission to save the life of every healthy and treatable animal in San Diego County.
- Teaching Hospital for the Shelter Veterinarians of Tomorrow – Our medical team is committed to offering veterinarian internships and providing learning
and mentoring opportunities for fourth-year veterinary students.
- Clinical Focus – an Administrator of Veterinary Hospital supports many of the administrative duties, freeing up medical staff for clinic work.
What Makes Us Unique
San Diego Humane Society provides vital services to animals and people by sheltering and adopting animals, investigating animal cruelty and neglect, inspiring compassion in people through education, pet-assisted therapy and much more. We are a private, independent, nonprofit organization that is not affiliated with any other humane society or SPCA. We operate with nearly 600 employees, more than 5,000 volunteers and an annual operating budget of $44 million and have 12 animal service contracts within San Diego County.
Learn More About Us
Recent Cases Treated by Our Veterinary Medical team
At 3-months old, Princess received lifesaving heart surgery, thanks to San Diego Humane Society's medical team.
Rico & Queen
These puppies were treated for parvo and given a second chance at San Diego Humane Society.
After being shot with a BB gun, San Diego Humane Society's veterinarians removed the pellet from Scooter's spine, giving him a chance to walk once again.
Elf arrived with trauma to his abdomen and a fractured pelvis - we believe from being dropped by a bird of prey. The medical team mended this sweet bunny's injuries and he now brings joy to people in need as a therapy bunny.
This Western Gull received lifesaving medical care after a fishing hook became lodged in his eye. Once fully recovered, he was released back into his natural habitat.
For other career opportunities at San Diego Humane Society, click here.