Volunteer with Your Pet
Want to Get Involved?
Volunteer with your own pet!
San Diego Humane Society's Animal Ambassador Volunteer role brings the joy of animals to the community!
Animal Ambassador volunteers participate in education programs, community events and fundraisers all around San Diego. While volunteering, they educate the community about our services, programs and animals all while providing a fur-fix. Pets of all species, breeds, ages and sizes are welcome to participate in this program.
Requirements to Volunteer:
Dogs must meet these basic requirements:
- Outgoing and friendly with all people
- Friendly with other dogs
- Ignores all small animals (rabbits, guinea pigs, rats)
- Not shy or scared of new situations
- Be spayed or neutered
- Be at least one year old
- Not be on a raw food diet
- Up to date on vaccinations
- Must pass a temperament evaluation
- Must complete an annual health check
All other pets must meet these basic requirements:
- Must be friendly and outgoing with all people
- Must pass a species-specific behavior evaluation
- Health check required
How to Become a Volunteer:
Recruitment is currently on pause.
1. To be notified of our next open recruitment period, please fill out our volunteer application.
2. When a new Animal Ambassador Assessment date is determined, you will receive an email instructing you to take three eLearning courses to get your training started.
3. Upon completion of the eLearnings, you will be able to sign up for the required Animal Ambassador Team Assessment
o If you are not able to make it for one of the available appointments, we will ask that you wait for the next recruitment period to open. At this time, we are not able to schedule one-on-one assessments outside of selected assessment dates.
o The Assessment will evaluate your pet's body language and behavior, as well as your positive handling and connection with your pet.
4. Volunteers who are invited to join the team after the Assessment will be scheduled further training and shadowing before their first official volunteer shifts!