How do I become a volunteer?
You can review the recruitment process for each volunteer opportunity by visiting the main volunteer webpage sdhumane.org/support-us/volunteer/ and clicking on the "Learn More" link for each team.
How often do you accept volunteer applications?
We constantly evaluate the needs of the organization and recruit new volunteers when needs arise. During a recruitment period, the application will be posted to that team's page on our website. Due to COVID-19, all recruitment has been on hold but is scheduled to start again in Summer 2021!
Are there costs associated with volunteering for SDHS?
Volunteers are required to purchase a t-shirt or apron, which are available for less than $15 at any of our locations.
Adoption Ambassador pet volunteers must purchase a leash sleeve for $15.
How old do you have to be to volunteer?
Oceanside campus: 16+
Escondido campus: 16+
Ramona campus: 16+
Bahde Wildlife Center: 18+
I'm not old enough to volunteer, but I want to help. What can I do?
- Host a third party fundraiser. Information and guidelines can be found here.
- Host a donation drive at your school or in your community to collect new or used items from our Wish List, including towels, blankets and pet supplies, which you can then donate to us.
- Print animal profiles and distribute them around your neighborhood to help get our animals adopted.
- Learn more about Youth Service options
- Explore our D.I.Y. Volunteering page
Can I get community service hours for school?
Hours towards school-ordered community service can be verified upon successful completion of 6 months of continuous service as an approved volunteer.
Can I satisfy court-ordered community service requirements?
Hours towards mandated court-ordered community service can be verified upon successful completion of 6 months of continuous service as an approved volunteer in one of our foundation level Companion Animal or Project Wildlife roles. Due to the high volume of interest in volunteerism at San Diego Humane Society, candidates interested in fulfilling community service with us must complete our general application process and all required trainings prior to beginning their service. At this time, we do not offer short term or quick turnaround service opportunities meant to fulfill court ordered requirements.
How can my group get involved in volunteering?
- For Group Volunteering information, please visit sdhumane.org/support-us/volunteer/group-service
- Also, you may visit our D.I.Y. Volunteering page.
Can I volunteer at any other Humane Society if I complete your application?
No. All humane societies are independent organizations. If you are interested in working with another animal welfare organization, you must complete their volunteer application process.