Are there costs associated with volunteering for SDHS?
Volunteers are required to purchase a t-shirt or apron, which are available for less than $15 at any of our locations.
Pet-Assisted Therapy volunteers with Canine Good Citizen certified therapy dogs must purchase a leash sleeve for $15.
Can I get community service hours for school?
After completion of six months of volunteer service, we are happy to verify hours for school programs.
Can I satisfy court-ordered community service requirements?
At this time, we are unable to verify hours to meet community service requirements mandated by the court.
Can I volunteer at any Humane Society if I complete your application?
No. All humane societies are independent organizations. If you are interested in working with another animal welfare organization, you must complete their volunteer application process.
SDHS volunteers choose which of our campuses they want to assist at.
How can my group get involved in volunteering?
- For Group Volunteering information, please email or call (619) 243-3490.
- Also, you may visit our D.I.Y. Volunteering page.
How do I become a volunteer?
You can review the recruitment process for each volunteer opportunity by visiting the main volunteer webpage and clicking on the "Learn More" link for each team.
How old do you have to be to volunteer?
At our Oceanside campus, all volunteers must be 16 or older.
At our Escondido campus, all volunteers must be 16 or older.
How often do you accept volunteer applications?
We open a recruitment round every month, typically on the first day of each month. Application links will be posted to the volunteer team page at the start of the month!
Other ongoing volunteer opportunities are also available. See them here >
I'm not old enough to volunteer, but I want to help. What can I do?
- Host a third party fundraiser. Information and guidelines can be found here.
- Host a donation drive at your school or in your community to collect new or used items from our Wish List, including towels, blankets and pet supplies, which you can then donate to us.
- Print animal profiles and distribute them around your neighborhood to help get our animals adopted.
- Learn more about Youth Service options
- Explore our D.I.Y. Volunteering page
Where can I volunteer with SDHS?
It depends on the opportunity you want to participate in. Start on our main volunteer page and select your preferred location or interest.