Volunteers at our Escondido Campus assist our staff in serving pet owners and the homeless or stray animals of Escondido, Poway and San Marcos.
Check out this virtual tour of our Escondido campus!
New volunteers join the team and help with non-animal handling activities in our Guest Relations and/or Animal Care departments. They learn about animal sheltering and San Diego Humane Society services all while supporting our daily work.
- ANIMAL CARE – Assist staff with feeding, cleaning and making enrichment items for the animals at the shelter. Shifts are typically available daily between 7 a.m.-6 p.m.
- GUEST RELATIONS – Guest Guide volunteers are the first smiling face our visitors see when they arrive on campus. You'll help provide a welcoming experience by greeting each guest and connecting them with the services they need. Community members visit us for many different reasons, such as adopting a new family member, bringing in a found stray, receiving free pet food and supplies, reclaiming a lost pet and more. Whatever they need, our Guest Guides are there to welcome them with compassion and direct them to the appropriate department. Shifts are typically available Tuesday-Sunday between 10 a.m.–6 p.m.
One 2-hour shift every other week, flexible schedule.
- Be at least 16 years of age. Under 16 but want to get involved? Check out our DIY page or Youth Services page!
- Access to email since all volunteer communication is done via email.
- Ability to complete online training courses.
After 10 hours of service on this team, volunteers are eligible to apply to step up to an animal handling team, such as dog walking, cat socializing, assisting in our kitten nursery etc. We recruit for these teams throughout the year, as needed. These roles require additional training, responsibility and a weekly shift commitment.
Volunteer interviews, offers and training are typically completed within 2 weeks after applying.
- Online application - We recruit new volunteers throughout the year, on an as-needed basis.
- Online Learning - Complete your online eLearnings from home and then schedule your interview.
- Onsite Interview - Our onsite small group session includes a behind-the-scenes walking tour of the multi-building campus and an opportunity to practice the volunteer duties to determine if our activities are the right fit for you.
- Online and in-person training - new volunteers complete online and in-person training, a self-guided series based on the interest of each individual volunteer.