San Diego Humane Society’s Escondido Campus cares for the homeless and stray animals of Escondido, Poway and San Marcos. Volunteers on this team assist our staff in serving the animals and pet owners of these communities.
New volunteers begin in our foundation level role of our Companion Animal team where they learn the foundation of animal sheltering and San Diego Humane Society policies.
- Animal Care – Assist staff with feeding, cleaning and enrichment at the shelter. Shifts available daily between 7 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Guest Services – Assist guests coming to reclaim lost pets, adopt a new pet or request services or supplies. Shifts available daily between 10 a.m.–6 p.m.
One, 2 hour shift every other week.
After 10 hours of service on this team, volunteers are eligible to apply to step up to a core level role such as dog walking, cat socializing, assisting in our kitten nursery etc. We recruit for thes eteams throughout the year, as needed. These core roles require additional training, responsibility and a weekly shift commitment.
- Be at least 16 years of age. Under 16 but want to get involved? Check out our DIY page or Youth Services page!
- Access to email since all volunteer communication is done via email.
- Ability to complete online training courses.
Complete volunteer selection, placement and training is typically completed in 3-6 weeks after applying.
- Online application - We recruit new volunteers throughout the year, on an as needed basis.
- Online Orientation - Once you apply, you can immediately complete our online orientation from home.
- Virtual Meet and Greet - Meet the Volunteer Engagement team and learn more about this campus, staff, volunteers and service activities!
- Online Learning - Complete your online eLearnings from home and then schedule your interview.
- Onsite Interview - Our onsite small group session includes a behind the scenes walking tour of the facility and an opportunity to practice the volunteer duties to determine if our activities are the right fit for you.