Animal Care Externships
Our animal care teams are able to provide externship opportunities to students currently enrolled in an animal behavior and/or husbandry programs.
To inquire about an Animal Care externship opportunties, please complete our request form. A member of the volunteer engagement team will be in touch within one week of receiving your form.
Veterinary Assistant and RVT Externships
Our veterinary medical teams are able to provide externship opportunities to students currently enrolled in a vet assistant or RVT program.
- San Diego Campus - All positions filled until May 2019
- Oceanside Campus - All positions filled until May 2019
- Escondido Campus - All positions filled until June 2019
To inquire about medical externship opportunities, please complete our request form. A member of the volunteer engagement team will be in touch within one week of receiving your form.
ABC Animal Trainer Externships
Our teams are able to provide externship opportunities to students currently enrolled in an animal behavior trainer program.
To inquire about a trainer externship opportunities, please complete our request form. A member of the volunteer engagement team will be in touch within one week of receiving your form.
UC Davis and Western University Medical Externship Program
OUR VETERINARY TEAM IS COMMITTED TO PROVIDING THIRD AND FOURTH YEAR VETERINARY STUDENTS WITH A COMPREHENSIVE SHELTER MEDICINE ROTATION
San Diego Humane Society’s Externship Program welcomes final-year veterinary students interested in shelter medicine for approved school externship or independent study rotations. Official school documentation of rotation approval is required prior to confirming the rotation.
Those interested in an externship opportunity can look forward to:
- Center for Shelter Medicine full-service medical and surgical facility
- Annual intake of approximately 50,000 animals on an open-admission policy, affording students experience with a large variety of medical, surgical, emergency, and behavioral patients
- Team of experienced veterinary staff for mentorship
- Daily high-quality-high-volume (HQHV) spay-neuter surgeries, with hands-on surgical mentoring
- Observation of advanced surgical and dental procedures
- First-hand experience in infectious disease patient and shelter management
- Observation of investigation and management of Humane Law Enforcement investigation cases
- Participation in the 24-hour orphaned kitten nursery (March through November)
- Participation in veterinary didactic and case rounds
- Mentored preparation of case and subject presentation
- Comprehensive overview of shelter medicine in the context of animal shelter management and community support
- Opportunity to shadow other departments: Behavior Center, Project Wildlife, Humane Law Enforcement.
Current duties for California veterinary student externs include:
- Primary, mentoredsurgical and medical case responsibility, including patient examination, assessment, and formulation of a diagnostic and treatment plan
- Medical record keeping, S.O.A.P. format
- Care of hospitalized patients
- Evaluation of imaging, laboratory, and other diagnostic findings
- Spay/neuter surgeries, assistance with orthopedic, dental, or soft tissue surgeries, cystocentesis, venipuncture, benchtop laboratory procedures, placement of IV catheters, assistance with anesthesia, nerve blocks, , post-mortem examinations, ophthalmologic and otic examinations, administration of treatments, pre-surgical examinations, assistance with vaccine clinics, and other procedures, depending on opportunity.
- Participation in case and didactic rounds
- Preparation and presentation of a medical case or shelter medicine topic at the end of each two-week rotation.
The externship opportunity at San Diego Humane Society extends to students in any AVMA-accredited veterinary college. Per state law, California students are allowed to practice all medical and surgical procedures under appropriate supervision. Out-of-state students may shadow staff DVMs and may assist with medical procedures at the level of veterinary assistant. Out-of-state students are restricted from practicing surgery or assuming primary medical responsibility for patients.
For more information about our Externship Program for final-year veterinary students, please reach us at [email protected].