San Diego Campus
Volunteers at our San Diego Campus assist our staff in serving pet owners and the homeless or stray animals of San Diego, Imperial Beach and Santee.
New volunteers join the team and help with non animal handling animal care and guest service activities. They learn about animal sheltering and San Diego Humane Society services all while supporting the many aspects of the shelter.
- Animal Care – Assist staff with feeding, cleaning and making enrichment items at the shelter. Shifts typically available daily between 7 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Guest Services – Guest Guides are the first smiling face our visitors see when they arrive on campus. You'll help provide a welcoming experience by greeting each guest and connecting them with the services they need. Community members visit us for many different reasons, such as adopting a new family member, bringing in a found stray, receiving free pet food and supplies, reclaiming a lost pet and more. Whatever they need, our Guest Guides are there to welcome them with compassion and direct them to the appropriate department. Shifts typically available Tuesday-Sunday between 10 a.m.–6 p.m.
One, 2 hour shift every other week.
- Volunteers 14/15 can volunteer if accompanied by a parent or guardian, who is also an approved volunteer, at all times while volunteering. Volunteers 16 or older may volunteer unaccompanied. Under 14 but want to get involved? Check out our DIY page or Youth Services page!
- Access to email since all volunteer communication is done via email.
- Ability to complete online training courses.
- After 10 hours of service on this team, volunteers are eligible to apply to step up to an animal handling team, such as dog walking, cat socializing, assisting in our kitten nursery etc. We recruit for these teams throughout the year, as needed. These roles require additional training, responsibility and a weekly shift commitment.
Volunteer interviews, offers and training is typically completed within 2 weeks after applying.
- Online application - We recruit new volunteers throughout the year, on an as needed basis.
- Online Learning - Complete your online eLearnings from home and then schedule your interview.
- Onsite Interview - Our onsite small group session includes a behind the scenes walking tour of the multi-building campus and an opportunity to practice the volunteer duties to determine if our activities are the right fit for you.
- Online and in person training - new volunteers complete online and in person training, a self guided series based on the interest of each individual volunteer.