Youth Service and Student Projects
There are many fun ways for children to help animals at San Diego Humane Society!
Download our packets and make enrichment items at home! Packets include a service log to earn hours for school.
Email [email protected] with questions.
Great for groups and school projects! Check out the opportunities below and fill out the request form to tell us how you would like to help get animals adopted, raise funds and share our mission. Parents are welcome to assist with projects as needed, but these opportunities are designed for children. To learn more about ways adults can help, check out our Volunteer Opportunities. College students, please visit our College Student Project and Engagement page for more information.
Fundraising for items on our wish list or money makes a great impact on the work we do every day. We are happy to support your efforts with animals, messaging, signage, etc. (when possible).
- Supply Drive—Plan a supply drive in your community and we will help you with signage, messaging, etc. We will work together to pick one of our programs for you to support (depending on the needs of the shelter at the time).
- Pennies for Pets—Collect pennies (or any type of cash) at school, at your church, through a sports team or in your neighborhood and donate them to San Diego Humane Society.
- Bake Sale—Conduct a bake sale in your community or at one of our campuses (San Diego, Escondido or Oceanside).
Promote a Pet
Promote a Pet is for children in the 6th grade and up. There are many animals that stay in the shelter a little longer than most, and those are the ones that need your help! We will choose one of our long term animals, and you will help us find the selected pet a loving home by doing the following:
- Furry Flyer Distribution— Distribute customized flyers at local coffee shops, recreation centers, schools, churches, etc. We will provide you with the flyers.
- Social Media Campaign—Share an animal’s story via your social media channels. We can provide you with graphics and messaging or you can share directly from our social media channels.
- Pawsitive Promotion—You will be invited to a San Diego Humane Society adoption event to help us promote the event and the animals that are attending. You will support the event by providing pre-promotion via your social media or distributing flyers; making signs for the day of the event; promoting the animals via social media during and after the event; sharing brochures with guests.
Junior Volunteers (ages 12-17) socialize our small adoptable animals and perform volunteer tasks.
What: Youth ages 12-17 help exercise and socialize our adoptable animals by providing them with valuable enrichment during their shelter stay. Kids will also help with other various service tasks throughout the shelter as needed. This program provides a great opportunity for youth to have hands-on interactions with animals and give back to pets and people in need while earning community service hours.
When: Monthly, September-May, 4:00-5:30 p.m.
Cost: $10.00 per child
Registration and Program Dates:
|September 17th||September 24th|
|October 1st||October 29th|
|November 5th||November 19th|
|December 3rd||December 17th|
For more information about Youth Service Opportunities, email [email protected].
Student Project Requests
Students who would like to complete school projects about San Diego Humane Society may submit a request here. Please submit your request at least two weeks prior to your project due date. We will do our best to accommodate your request but it is not guaranteed.