Youth Service and Student Projects
There are many fun ways for children to help animals at San Diego Humane Society!
College students, please visit our College Student Project and Engagement page for more information.
We can provide service verification letters or complete school forms for any of the service opportunities below.
Send a photo of your volunteer work in action and we will share it here! Email [email protected].
Temporarily care for pets in your home! This family service opportunity helps pets in need by bringing them into your home for a few days or a few weeks — it is up to you! Training and supplies provided. Main caregiver must be 18 or older. Earn three service hours per day/per foster pet. Visit the Foster page to learn more and apply.
Fundraising for items on our wish list or money makes a great impact on the work we do every day. We are happy to support your efforts with animals, messaging, signage, etc. (when possible).
- Supply Drive—Plan a supply drive in your community and we will help you with signage, messaging, etc. We will work together to pick one of our programs for you to support (depending on the needs of the shelter at the time).
- Pennies for Pets—Collect pennies (or any type of cash) at school, at your church, through a sports team or in your neighborhood and donate them to San Diego Humane Society.
- Bake Sale—Conduct a bake sale in your community.
Junior Petfluencer is for children in the 6th grade and up for those that are active or their families are active on social media. There are many animals that stay in the shelter a little longer than most, and those are the ones that need your help! You can help pets find homes by sharing their stories on social media or neighborhood forums. Contact [email protected] for more details.
Student Project Requests
Thank you for your interest in learning more about San Diego Humane Society for your project! Before submitting a request form, please read the following:
- Animal interactions are not available for student projects.
- If your project requires information about our organization, please review our website for answers first before submitting a request.
Onsite Service Opportunities: At this time, we do not have service opportunities onsite. Kids 14 and older can learn more and apply to become a regular onsite volunteer on our volunteer page.
Filming or Video:
You may visit any of our campuses (El Cajon, Escondido, Oceanside or San Diego) during business hours (Tuesday-Sunday, 10 a.m. - 6p.m.). You are welcome to film in any of the public areas. Please ask any staff or volunteers for permission before filming them.
Statistics or Data:
Please review our annual Impact Reports where all of our Asilomar Statistics can be found. The Asilomar Statistics detail intake numbers, Return to Owner (RTO), Adoptions and Humane Euthanasia (HE). You can also find national Animal Welfare Statistics on the Best Friends website.
If you would like to speak with a staff member for your project, please fill out the Interview Request Form. Please submit the request form at least two weeks prior to your project due date to give staff time to respond.