There are many fun ways for children to help animals at San Diego Humane Society!
Download our packets and make enrichment items at home!
Packets include a service log to earn hours for school.
Great for groups and school projects! Check out the opportunities below and fill out the request form to tell us how you would like to help get animals adopted, raise funds and share our mission. Parents are welcome to assist with projects as needed, but these opportunities are designed for children. To learn more about ways adults can help, check out our Volunteer Opportunities.Fill out the request form for Pawsitive Service
- Supply Drive—Plan a supply drive in your community and we will help you with signage, messaging, etc. We will work together to pick one of our programs for you to support (depending on the needs of the shelter at the time).
- Pennies for Pets—Collect pennies (or any type of cash) at school, at your church, through a sports team or in your neighborhood and donate them to San Diego Humane Society.
- Furry Flyer Distribution— Distribute customized flyers at local coffee shops, recreation centers, schools, churches, etc. We will provide you with the flyers.
- Social Media Campaign—Share an animal’s story via your social media channels. We can provide you with graphics and messaging or you can share directly from our social media channels.
- Pawsitive Promotion—You will be invited to a San Diego Humane Society adoption event to help us promote the event and the animals that are attending. You will support the event by providing pre-promotion via your social media or distributing flyers; making signs for the day of the event; promoting the animals via social media during and after the event; sharing brochures with guests.
- Bake Sale—Conduct a bake sale in your community or at one of our campuses (San Diego, Escondido or Oceanside).
- Parades—Represent San Diego Humane Society along with our staff and volunteers at festive parades around San Diego. We will contact you with information on the next available parade.
Junior Volunteers (ages 12-17) socialize our small adoptable animals.
- What: Youth ages 12-17 help exercise our rabbits and guinea pigs and socialize our adoptable cats, providing them with valuable enrichment during their shelter stay. Kids may also help with other various service tasks throughout the shelter as needed. This program provides a great opportunity for youth to have hands-on interactions with animals and give back to the shelter while earning community service hours.
- When: Held 2-3 times a month from 4:30-6:00 p.m.
- Cost: $10.00 per child
Register: Reservations are required.
January 3: REGISTER
January 15: REGISTER
January 31: REGISTER
February 7: REGISTER
February 19: REGISTER
February 28: REGISTER
For more information about Youth Service Opportunities, email [email protected].